Pretty much agree with the original post and DC. I have never understood the appeal of Trump, other that that he was an "outsider" and people were fed up with how our government was working in 2016. Dude is an idiot and only cares about himself, and does not show what I consider family-values.

And DC is right - Republicans currently have no platform, other than being against whatever the Democrats are for.

For Republicans to actually be conservative, they need to be a party that promotes family-values. This should include policies like mandatory paid family-leave for fathers, policies that incentivize the nuclear family, and increased rights for fathers in custody battles.

This also includes increased funding for birth-control research and access (but not greater access to abortions), including male birth-control. Basically, we need to get to a point where abortion is no longer needed, unless the pregnancy poses a great risk to the mother, or the the baby is non-viable and in pain. If you have access to 99.99% effective birth control, and you decide not to use it and get pregnant, you need to live with the consequences. At that point, you outlaw all abortion except in cases like I mentioned above.

Border security, but not to keep people out - to keep drugs out. Fentanyl killing 100k people per year is not acceptable. We also need reform to keep people from abusing prescription drugs. Drug abuse is destroying American families.

Increased emphasis on personal responsibility. We've fallen so far from "Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country."

Actually being fiscally conservative, instead of only when you aren't in power.

An energy policy that pushes sustainable fuels and also includes nuclear fusion research. At this point, I think we need to have a Manhattan Project-style push to get this technology. Let Democrats have their outdated "green" energy.

I'd also like to see some sort of Community Improvement Initiative available for those on welfare for increased benefits. Basically being a part of a team to clean up areas in their own neighborhood. Not sure how it would work exactly, but we need something. It is embarrassing traveling to Japan, and seeing how well-kept everything is over there. Shop owners wash off the sidewalks in front of their stores every morning. Older people cleaning the parks constantly. No litter. Not sure how we can get to that level, but we need to. People need to have a sense of pride in their communities.