Originally Posted by Clemdawg
hopefully, they're all actually learning from it instead of looking at a 'W' and blindly thinking everything is ok.

They've been pretty studious, and the analytics won't allow them to hide from their deficiencies.

Agreed they seem capable of self reflection and honest evaluation. Doubtful they blindly think everything is ok. Also agree I think this season has been greatly impacted by injuries. But then that is absolutely part of every team's season every year. Learn and improve!

Regards to the clear philosophy - that I assume is analytics driven - that with a big lead, you are more likely to lose by continuing normal/aggressive play calling -vs- conservative play calling, reducing clock time for the opponent, reducing opportunities for big plays by the opponent at the expense of giving them softer coverages and nothing over the top....

The issue I see with that - especially for a young team - especially when you are dominating like we have in multiple games that where we let a big lead slip to a single score as time expires .... It is preventing the team from gaining momentum and confidence. It prevents the team from refining and perfecting the bread and butter plays, routes, play action etc that the team will need in other games later in the season. The result of the long drives we seed to the opponent is a loss of confidence by the D. A loss of momentum. A loss of the thrill of dominating. It gives the other team momentum. . . . The number of times we have clung on unconvincingly to a lead due to the conservative philosophy has done more to undermine confidence after a win than the potential benefit of walking of having given the opponent a true butt whopping. Just how I see it. This year and last.

Another potential angle: People have claimed Baker is mentally weak - the truth is the opposite in my opinion. When he throws a pick. He doesn't go into a shell. He comes out swinging with the same determination and focus as before the pick. When we threw a pick vs Ravens - Baker wasn't suddenly bad afterwards. And taking a 40 yard heave on a 3rd down play that results in an interception is really no different from an Punt by the Hammer. It might actually be a net gain.

Anyway just my .02 back at you.