Originally Posted by Bird
True. But we need to be prepared. So drafting a QB is a necessary step? Otherwise we end up with a likely pissed off Baker and nobody to step in. Or do we grab a FA who is on the downside while drafting a QB after that?

Of course, if Baker is healthy next year and the impact of COVID declines then perhaps this becomes moot.

I don't really know what we "should" do. What I do know is a QB controversy has never been a positive thing for a team. I also know that undermining a QB's confidence can never lead to anything good coming from it. Making moves at the QB position that indicates you're making contingency plans to replace Baker will only lead to a bad outcome IMO. A QB has to know he has the support of his FO and coaching staff if you expect to give him a fair shot next year.

As far as my opinion goes I think the best option would be not to make any moves that would cause the team, the fan base or Baker to think you're already making plans to move on from him until the decision has been whether you are or not. I think this FO will have the time to make contingency plans if or when a decision is made to move on from Baker without making any moves before such time.

No, I want Baker to have every chance to succeed next season. I don't want him to be looking over his shoulder.