Originally Posted by Ballpeen
I hope he gets another year. I am just not so sure it will happen.

If it doesn't, I think it will be more on Bakers end over the team's. Bakers edge also might hold a bit of a grudge against the coaches, and maybe even the fans. I also think his wife has a lot of influence.

I am just not sure the Mayfield's want to stay in Cleveland. Hopefully I am wrong.

I see it this way:

CLE and BM6 are married for the next year, guaranteed. Both need each other. Each is the best short-term option for the other. And both camps know this. That's why we read short articles about BM6's exit chat ending on a positive note (it's also why I didn't bother with the ever-predictable MKC end-of-year soap opera distraction when it popped up in the threads...).

Ain't no hate in the building, because each needs each other equally for this thing to work. It's business for CLE, and it's business for BM6, as well.

BM6 gets his year to prove it. Earned, in my opinion.
CLE gets the same- and another year to explore options (which any responsible FO would/should be doing all the time, anyway).

Both camps stand to profit if next year looks more like Playoff Browns '20.
Both camps stand to lose big if either side bails now.

Everything else we dolts have been posting about is bs compared to this reality.
That's why I haven't really been "chatting it up" with you guys about this lately.

REALITY BREAK/MANIFESTO MOMENT

This thing (NFL) is an entertainment entity that is only one or two steps removed from WWE. It's like DisneyCorp, Universal Studios, LucasFilms, and even freakkin Carnival Cruises. They are all megalithic corporate entities that deliver a processed entertainment product for mass consumption. And that's what perennially-disappointed Browns fans have failed to understand ever since The Return. The NFL doesn't hate the Browns. It has never hated the Browns.

The Browns haven't given the NFL enough reason to love them...and it's not for lack of opportunity.
Hear me out:

The NFL loves nothing more than to script narratives that write themselves for the history books. PIT#7 is this year's project, if they can swing it. It's a long shot, but hey- it's the playoffs- anything can happen... That said, CLE had their chances to knock him off his perch, and the NFL was always there to pick up the story- no matter how it played out.

After the 2002 playoff loss, Browns got plenty of honey.
After 2007 (a 10-6 record that needed playoff help), Browns got plenty of hype.
After 2021, Browns are being slurrrped as deep-playoff shoe-ins.

At each point, the NFL has been there to help CLE write its story for its fans. When CLE has failed to capitalize on its opportunities, the NFL moved on to help other teams write stories for their fans.

CLE has had their chances to be the next big "Corporate Feel-Good Storyline Project," but they have to take that next step. When they do, they'll get coverage and storylines and coach closeups and yes- I'll say it- even ref's calls in big games for as long as they can keep the feels going. Some teams go one & done. Some create dynasties.

Browns fans have had it wrong all along. Refs/League aren't against the Browns. They've just never been given a reason to be for them yet. String 2-3 seasons together like last year, and I guaran-damn-tee you: CLE would be headed to a storyline resembling PIT or NE or GB. It's what they do. It's their brand: "We'll gin up the hype, but it's your responsibility to bring quality product."

This team is still on the cusp of being The Next Big Sexy Thing, even after this disappointing season. NFL Network did everything they could to set us up at the end of last year.
Before injuries.
And CoVid.
And more injuries.
and... you get it.

Folks are close to getting what they've wanted. Team just needs to take that next step. This year was disappointing, but not devastating- and that's an important part of building.

Jim Brown is still alive. The NFL has every reason to help write a story like that, but CLE has to give them that opportunity.

You guys think I'm crazy.
I'm not wrong here.
They will take the easy way to a great story every time.
It's who they are.
It's what they do.

[cue up 'vintage NFL films theme music' with John Facenda voiceovers]