Sadly, I think this is about what will happen.

The thing is, the FO doesn't have to do, or say, anything. They'll do their due diligence in finding out exactly what happened as best they can, and I have little doubt that they will have their own security types investigate (remember, the guy that at one time headed up our security department there was a former Head of the Secret Service, or something. They know how to look into things, and they know people).
IF they feel he was done wrong, you will see stories begin to float in the press to repair his character a bit, then you'd see a new signing. Also probably another one-year thing.
If, however, they see anything that suggests it was his own bad choices, then they don't have to say anything. They just have to stop answering his agent's calls because he is no longer a Cleveland Browns employee when the current league year ends. Persona non grata with an expired contract.

I was rooting SOOO MUCH for this guy, but it just likely won't work out. It was definitely a worthwhile gamble, however, and it worked out for the one season, at least.