Originally Posted by jfanent
So sorry to hear that. That family seems like such good people.

They are, trust me.

He was a wealthy man, but you'd never have guessed in talking to him/them, or in how they lived their lives.

He was an awesome cousin, with insights on much, things one wouldn't think of. He was a Christian to his core, and it showed in his life, as well as his wife, and kids, and his siblings, etc. Always looking to help, in some manner. I know, that gets said about everyone, almost, that dies. This guy LIVED it, daily.

The "best"? thing? He, and they all, knew he was terminal a while back.

It started with pain in his extremely lower back, way back - year and half, 2 years? Doctor. U of M in Ann Arbor for a while. Then the Cleveland Clinic. Then off on a clinical trial in Boston (where most of the people with the same issue died). He said numerous times "It's weird going to Boston monthly, for a week or so at a time, and each month, going back, 1 or 2 of the people I knew there (patients) weren't alive anymore." They "excused" him from the trial with "we can't do anything."

Home. Walking became an issue. Then he fell, broke his hip. Off for surgery to fix that at the local hospital. Then, back up to U of M to learn how to walk again, and radiation had been scheduled to give him a little more time. (prior to breaking his hip, that is).

He was in good spirits at U of M. They sent him home. He, and they, knew. They knew a year plus ago, what the end was. Right to an in patient hospice facility. Lasted about 5-6 days. As I stated earlier, his last reply to me was "Defiance, Done with it all." (hospice center in Def. Ohio). His wife was with him. He went to sleep, and didn't wake up.

The family is handling it very well - all things considered. His daughter posted about it - sad, yet happy for him. Sad for them, but happy for him.

He did get to see his 2 siblings and their spouses earlier in the week. And, his 95 year old mom - who still drives, and has all her faculties about her. Amazing, no dementia, no health issues, etc.

Hey, he knew he was dying. He made it long enough to see his kids win The Voice. Even in the early days at hospice, when they were on zoom chats with people in LA, and Nashville, he liked to listen in, ask questions, etc. Bekah, I think it was yesterday, said she played guitar for him for 5 hours. (they took turns being with him)