j/c

Off season is the most dangerous time of year for me to be a Cleveland Browns fan. At some point, the soap opera is gonna land. And I'm always gonna hate it.

This time, the offseason has given me a 14k gold-plated turd to be 'happy' about.
Gee- thanks.

I see playoffs and potential Super Bowl appearances in our near future.
Cool. I guess.

Here's what I'm saying:
I know myself. And because of that, I know how I will look at every single Browns win for the duration of this young man's tenure: with an asterisk.

There will be for me, a small stain in the corner of every upcoming Browns snapshot that features Mr. Watson. A 'watermark' if you will.
If I had been a PIT fan from childhood, and was raised to be the same person I am now, I'd have spent the last 12+ years placing that watermark on all the Steelers' snapshots, as well. It's just how I am. I know myself.

It just bugs me to know that if/when CLE wins a trophy with this guy, I won't be able to celebrate with the same abandon than I could if all our new Super Bowl snapshots didn't have that gat-dam watermark down in the bottom righthand corner. This move will increase my chance to see a CLE championship, but it will also taint- in some small measure- my level of pleasure, if/when it happens.

A part of me already wants to take a blisteringly hot shower with lye soap and a barbed-wire loofa, and Dude hasn't taken a single snap for My Team. If/when we win a championship with this guy, I will be happy for us, but I will never be ecstatic, like I feel I deserve to be. This dude's personal cologne reeks of smoke from a hidden fire... and I might not ever allow myself to get over this. I'm NOT afraid to admit that- to any and all of us.

Go Browns.
You never cease to make my fandom hard work.