The forum kinda seems more like the Tailgate forum than the Pure Football forum. I thought it might be fun to take a look at the AFC contenders and talk a little football.

The AFC is loaded. It is far, far superior to the NFC. I can think of multiple AFC teams that might be the favorite if they were in the NFC. This is an early look and I make no claims that it is entirely valid. After all, there is no way I would have considered the Bengals to represent the AFC in the Super Bowl at this time last year.

East:

Buffalo: I consider them the best team in football. The main reason why is that Josh Allen is a superior qb. If I were to start an NFL franchise today, he would be #1 overall pick. I didn't like the guy before the draft. It demonstrates what a dart throw it is in evaluating collegiate qbs. This guy has grown tremendously as a passer. He is a great leader who is beloved by his teammates. He is an outstanding runner who keeps many drives alive when the play breaks down. I think they should try and harness in his running, though. He takes and delivers way too many big shots. Save that stuff for the playoffs. The D is pretty good and Von Miller will be a good leader for them. They have decent skilled players. The one concern I have is coaching and maybe generating a pass rush even though Miller will help. Totally blew the kickoff against KC and then allowed KC to score w/13 seconds left due to poor planning on D. They are still my favorite as best team.

Miami: They are all in. Have a pretty good D. Their OL was horrible last year, but Armstead will help. They have upgraded the skill positions and brought in a Shanny guy. I question Tua in regards to his ability to be a difference maker. The AFC is loaded with elite qbs and if you don't have one, you are on the outside looking in. They brought in Shanny's OC. He might be bright, but many coordinators fail in the HC role. I say........improved, but probably not a playoff team.

New England: They have the greatest coach of all-time. However, they have digressed talent wise from last season. They have the worst WR unit in the NFL. Out of the playoffs.

Jets: LMAO.......NO.

North:

Bengals: Burrow is the real deal. He is a natural born leader. Very accurate. Stays cool and resilient despite being hammered by the pass rush. They have a lot of talent and I think they have upgraded the league's worst OL, but I worry Joe might get hurt. He takes too many shots. If he goes down, they have no chance. They do have excellent skill players on O and some playmakers on D, but the D is somewhat inconsistent. I think they are a true contender, but I have a feeling they might take a step back this year.

Pittsburgh: Their OL is awful. They have good WRs, but Claypool is a head case. Najee is a good back, but makes some baffling decisions at times. Stop bouncing everything outside. The D is the D. Tomlin is one of the best coaches in the league. Trubisky was hampered by the idiot Nagy in Chi-town, but I am not sold on him and if you don't have a top flight qb in the AFC, you are doomed. I think they miss the playoffs.

Baltimore: No team had worse luck than Baltimore last year. They lost so much. Harbaugh is an excellent coach and Lamar is a gamer. They have a good secondary if healthy. The WRs aren't very good. The OL regressed. They should not be good, but they find ways to win. Hard to count them out even if the mind tells you they don't belong.

Browns: Huge upgrade at qb. Maybe the best OL in the league. Great RBs. Very good HC. Excellent OL coach. Lost their excellent WRs. The negative energy surrounding Watson could get heavy on the team's psyche. A suspension would be devastating to their chances. However, unlike many Baker fans, most people know the Browns have one of the best rosters in then entire league. They have a shot.

South:

Tennessee: Overlooked every year, yet they still win. Vrabel is a good coach. Tough as nails and so is his team. Their D was terrible two years ago but improved last year. Great running game. Tannehill is pretty good at times, but laid a huge egg in the playoffs. This is a weak division. They have a shot to win division, but I don't think they go far in playoffs.

Indy: This is the team Baker wanted to go to. I knew they wouldn't trade for him because they did not want to replace one emotional midget [Wentz] w/another. Ryan is steady, but he is 38 {I think} and past his prime. They have a good team, but desperately need a LT. Their WRs are questionable and lost their TE to retirement. They need an Edge guy. Solid team that could challenge for the division, but not a real threat in the playoffs.

Jags: No.

Houston: LOL

West:

KC: While I like what they did in the trading of Hill, there is no one player that can replace the Cheetah. He changes the way DC's game plan. Their D is pretty weak and they are losing Mathieu. Their OL is solid, but not as good as at least one analyst thinks. They still have a great qb, but he showed some signs of vulnerability last year. They do have the most established coach in the division.......by far. I won't be surprised if they represent the conference in the Super Bowl or miss the playoffs.

LA Chargers: Great qb. This guy would be my second overall pick after Allen. Big, strong, gun, mobile, good attitude. He has it all. Chargers loaded up on D to really improve that unit. OL is still a bit of a concern. Very good WRs. My issue w/them is their HC. Dude lost them several games last year. As a former coach, I hate coaches who want to be the show. Your job is to facilitate the players and put them in the best position to succeed. It's about the players......not you and your arrogant, stubborn self. Going for it on your own 18 yard line w/the playoffs on the line. Calling TO in that same game that allowed the Raiders to kick the winning FG. Countless times when you chased points. Hard to overcome incompetent coaching. It's a shame, because this roster is loaded. They still have a shot due to that talent, but someone needs to slap some sense into their HC.

Denver: Talented roster. Excellent D. Good RBs and WRs. Lost Fant at TE. Wilson was a huge get for them, but I wonder about him. I was kinda hoping the Browns would go for him, but he really isn't that great from the pocket. He drifts too deep due to his short stature and takes on sacks that the OL gets blamed for. He is a great creator, but seems to fade later in seasons.......at least for the last 3 years. I'd rather have Watson than him. Their HC is bright, but he is another first-time HC and you don't know what you will get. They have a true shot, but I say they miss out because they are playing in what might be the best division in the history of the NFL.

Las Vegas: I think McDaniels is one of the better offensive minds in football. The team improved their roster significantly. Carr is pretty good, but did anyone else notice how long he held on to the ball in the playoff game. That is a no-no. Very good team, but the division is too tough.

Anyone want to participate?