Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
j/c:

One off the field thing I found fascinating was how ESPN and other media outlets were highlighting the pursuit of Watson by various NFL teams. Apparently, there were 8 teams who were after him. Four agreed to the extreme demands of the trade. Three first round choices plus more. Think about that. Four teams were able and willing to trade that much for Watson. Another four were not in position to offer that much, but still wanted to acquire him.

The commentary was all about who were the favorites. It wasn't about the compensation package because all those teams agreed to give up that much. Houston did rule out Indy because they were in the same conference. The narrative was all about which team Watson preferred to go to. New Orleans was the favorite and then some said Atlanta because Watson was from there and the town would accept him. There wasn't hardly any talk about morals in the short time that transpired once the GJ decided to not pursue criminal charges.

Then, the Browns held an introductory press conference and the local media killed the Browns and Watson. A lot of the long-time Baker apologists attacked the Browns and Watson w/questions that could not possibly be answered. They tried to get Watson to admit guilt. The remorse question was especially repulsive because why would one be remorse if one was innocent. To admit remorse would be akin to be admitting guilt.

Of course, the national media--including ESPN--recognized the bad optics of the press conference and have since changed their position on Watson and the team obtaining him. I do not believe this outrage would have occurred had Watson signed w/the Saints or Falcons. Sometimes, I think Cleveland is Cleveland's own worst enemy.

Could be the delayed ESPN reaction was due to the Cleveland media coverage having a negative tone or maybe ESPN got swift "how can you support this" type of feedback. NO way to know for sure but you are right, either this is a major moral issue or it isn't . Nothing regarding the cases changes in between that time span.