Originally Posted by WSU Willie
You have "no other options" when you created a problem with $18.9 million of cap space.

I still don't understand why people are claiming what transpired with w/ Mayfield after the Watson deal and other NFL trades means we definitely have "no other options" and it's a problem created by the FO. But I'm happy to hear more....I just don't buy what's been said already.

The bottom line is the team seemingly upgraded on Baker, and hopefully long-term. That's not a problem. That's a good thing and the residual effect of Mayfield's contract or any sort of collateral issues from Baker resulting from getting Watson pale in comparison to a transaction to get a legit fQB. In the NFL climate these days, having a legit franchise QB is what gets you sustainable success and a chance to win it all, obviously. The days of Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson, Nick Foles leading your team to the Super Bowl is less and less likely in the current climate.

And no other options? How does anyone know this? Creative NFL deals (especially by the Browns in recent years) can, and do, happen. I think this might mean taking on some money or a contract a team doesn't want, but there could be a myriad of different ways this FO of Berry & DePodesta are looking at to get some value. It's funny when people here (and in the NFL space) couldn't comprehend the brilliance of the Osweiler trade a few year years back simply because it was never done before. This notion that nothing can be done seems like a crock of BS, frankly.

If Watson continues his path as a player, having Mayfield currently on the roster or his contract most likely a portion of (considering the abundance of space the team has) means next to nothing.