Before we give excuses for the crappy Houston situation, let's not ignore the fact that in 2015 and 2016 the Texans were AFC South Champs both years. Watson didn't come to a crappy team - he was drafted by a 2-time division winner.

Watson's first year with Houston they went from 2-time Division Champs to a 4-12 last place finish. In 2018, the Texans rebounded to again hold the top spot as Division winners. In 2019, they again won the division with Watson at the helm. In 2020, the Texans reverted back to a 4-12 record and a 3rd place finish. The Texans had stability at the Head Coach position because the Texans had the same head coach from 2014 until part of the way through 2020. During that time, their coach had 4 AFC South Championships and 6 playoff games. To say that Watson was exposed to a crappy organization or in horrific conditions is hogwash - Mayfield would have been so lucky to have played for a single head coach who led his organization to 4 playoff appearances in 6 years. Wow, that was so horrific for Watson. Mayfield didn't have an once of that stability or the players and weapons that Watson walked into the NFL to support him.

Watson appears to be an upgrade and I don't have an issue with the upgrade but do with the baggage he's bringing and how it was handled. However, trying to paint Watson as some type of martyr because he played with Houston is just plain not the truth.

I'm not so hopped up to rate all the QB's because things happen to make those rankings dependent on other factors. In most cases, injuries - player performance - coaching - and scheduling have bearings on whether a QB falls within one category or another. Ranking a player as elite after 1-2 years of performance is questionable at best. I would also think that a QB drafted by a crappy team and goes 30-30 in his first 4-years (1 playing injured) would receive higher consideration than a player drafted by a 2-time Division winner and playoff team that goes 28-25 in 4-years. Like I said, not all QB's are dealing with the same variables. It's definitely harder to get 12 wins when you're starting with a base of 1-31 than it is to get to 12 wins when your already at a 9-win base.