Grown my potatoes for years here, and at home before for my family growing up. We planted in a trough in the soil, usually using the whole seed potato. Covered it until it came up. Side dressed it; pulled soil up over the plants as they grew, usually two, preferably three times. They grow in these hills. Start taking them about three weeks after blooms die. They can "keep" well underground. This process can be duplicated using tires. Stack a tire and add dirt as it grows up for about three tires. Reverse to harvest. Keep them out of direct sun when harvested.
I have grown multiple types. Had very little luck with blues. I really favored Yukon Golds, then Pontiac Reds, and really liked Kennebecs for years. Watch out for flea beetles and also blight. Leave room between rows to create tilled dirt to pull up over the plants to make their hills. This older method is why they had potato forks for years to pull through the hills instead of digging them; that is a lot of dirt to move.
Adding sand can help. My soil here has clay and really gets packed in. I did not manage huge potatoes. But they were solid, kept not quite a year, and stored well. Keep some notes about what you plant, when, weather issues for next year. Working in increments, like ten pounds of seed at a time can be a handy gauge. I wish you luck. But it is always something new and puzzling.
Wife and I really liked eating what we raised in the garden. We were almost organic.