I have too many memories of Browns teams flipping defensive schemes and/or drafting players who played a different position in college than they were asked to play for the Browns. I remember gaining the belief that 3-4 DEs/DTs were quite different from 4-3 DEs/DTs...to the point of not being interchangeable. That belief is being challenged and I seem to see and read that the chasm between Dlinemen skillset in the different "schemes" and where they line up has become more of a small crack than a chasm.

The best example I can give on this change is in the number of times (relatively recently) that we read about a guy (say a DE) who "can move inside on passing downs". I understand why it's done...no issue there. But I find it interesting that the various "lines" are becoming blurred regarding how/where they line up. We have a couple DEs on the roster today who are 250-260lb guys...almost more like 3-4 OLBs...we also have some tall, lean (looking) DEs in the 270+ range. We have several LBs who weigh less than our backup QB. It's a passing league...I get that...I just find it interesting that these players have now (suddenly?) become so "versatile".

My purpose for this post though is to look at the DTs we have on the roster or have recently picked/signed and to learn about what roles they play...especially given the above ^ two paragraphs:

Prior to the draft, our heaviest DT was Elliott at just over 300lbs. I recollect him as being more of a pass-rush-DT (I'll use the term 3T from here on out in this regard) who doesn't get much - if any - pressure. Day, Togiai, & Bryan (pre-draft guys) are similar in size. I'm pegging Day as more of a NT than a 3T, Bryan reads as a 3T and I have no idea on Togiai AND we continually read about DEs who can "slide inside on passing downs".

We go and draft Winfrey who reads like a 3T - who was asked to play too much NT last year. We pick a couple longer/leaner DEs and then (2) UDFAs who are both clearly NT types. Prior to the end of the draft, we could field a basketball team of DTs with nothing but non-NTs.

Are the (2) UDFAs really the only true NTs on the roster? What is/was Togiai? How does Elliott fit? Does anyone recollect seeing Bryan play - college or pro?

My apologies for taking so long to get to the true point here...it just seemed necessary to frame the DTs before getting to the point.