Originally Posted by PitDAWG
That's fine, we just see it differently. There is usually always competition for the kicking position in camps around the league unless someone has an established NFL record over time. So at the very least this is a rather unusual set of circumstances. But things change. For all I know this may become the new normal.

There may be a new normal forming. For years, kickers and punters were last round or UDFA picks. Now we are seeing mor and more being drafted in the 5th round.

I saw a bit somewhere explaining why we took York in the 4th. As we saw, several punters came off the board in the 5th. We wanted York but felt he wasn't going to last until our 5th round pick, so we went ahead and took him when we did.

I generally don't like reaching, but we wanted the guy and with kickers the pool of players is relatively limited as to other positions. And with kickers, it is a need pick. Teams don't generally have those guys listed in a traditional BPA formula. Even if they do, you don't draft a kicker unless you need one. It's not like teams keep depth at the kicker position except maybe keep some guy on the practice squad.

Time will tell if it was the right pick, but in the moment and as things stood with our kicker situation, it was the right pick.