Originally Posted by mgh888
I've seen a bunch of really excellent posts and actual real political discussion on these boards today. Be nice to see if we can keep that going. To that point - the question would be why does the USA have such low voter turnout and what can we do to change it?

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-ta...st-developed-countries-in-voter-turnout/

Because we have a news media that pushes anger and fear to sell ads and does so with impunity.

"Trump is a criminal and must be stopped at all costs!" - MSNBC, CNN etc.

"Biden will destroy everything if he can find his own pants!" - FOX, OAN etc.

We've been pitted against each other in a game that the only winner is the pockets of the media companies. I find it interesting when people say "I know the media is biased but <that other side> is more biased."

Couple the media with people who are too lazy to go and read. Their talking head of choice tells them something and the believe it without hesitation. Go find primary sources. Read the actual transcript of the press conference, not some opinion piece on what was said, especially since we now know all news media is biased and will tell you what happened in a way to get you angry at those guys over there. Political debate has become a serious game of "but your guy is a nazi!"