Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
Hey Swish......I read your post and just took it as a learning experience. I do want to make a somewhat personal connection to one of your paragraphs, if I may?

The issue with the theory is that the base stats used to support it aren't wrong per say, but the context is bat crap crazy. for example, the 2020 census showed a decline in the white/non-hispanic demographic, and so they use that as a justification for believing in it. the issue is that -as you know - there are plenty of white-hispanic americans who do identify as white, so when added together, still represent the vast majority of the american population.

My wife grew up w/a white man's last name. Dude abandoned the family before it officially began. A real piece of crap. My wife is even older than I am and she faced a lot of discrimination back in the day. However, my wife recently told us that when she was applying for scholarships and then looking for employment later on in anesthesia, she took advantage of that "white" last name and identified herself as "white" on the applications because she feared she would be rejected if she admitted she was Hispanic.

I bring this up because I was hoping we were beyond such prejudice, yet now it seems, there are organized groups out there that want to bring this crap back.

well here's the thing: hispanics are partially white. Spain and Portugal are european countries, after all. and if anybody knows anything about european history, migration and race mixing might as well be their official pastime (including war lol). it's common for hispanic and latinos to pass off as white in america, especially if they have more spanish/ibernian ethnicity in their dna. so a lot of latinos that can pass off as white mark white on their applications to lower the chances of discrimination. Colorism is another aspect of racism not taught in america. think about the "light skin vs dark skin" talks amongst the black community as an example.

that's why if you haven't noticed, the guys who talk about their european heritage in this country never seem to including spanish speaking people? cause they don't mean that part of europe...