Originally Posted by mgh888
I like this move and like many others have been expecting it since right before the draft.

I believe the addition to the team Clowney brings is greater than the apparent value of Clowney's PFF grades which were more middle of the road than I think most of us would have guessed based on watching the games. Knowing the scheme - being a 1 year deal - playing with a 2nd year JOK ... I think it is all to the good. Not sure how much Winfrey will play this year - but I think it will help the DT's significantly too.

It should help the tackles a lot. Now we have Clowney and Garrett playing next to whoever we line up at tackle.

Unless we sign someone at some point the starting tackles are probably going to be Winfrey and Taven Bryant.

Winfrey is a guy we hope will be an answer for the long haul. I suspect we are going to play him. Bryant is a 1st round pick who never latched on with the JAGS. A change of scenery should do him well since he isn't a former 1st rounder for us, thus expectations will be lower. He is still a young guy, so who knows. Maybe Day takes one of those slots and we go with the 3 as the primary guys and 1-2 like Togiai as the 4th and maybe a 5th DT in some sort of rotation.

I guess it all depends on how many total defensive linemen we keep and who shows in camp. Do we keep as little as 7 linemen or do we keep as many as 10? As usual it will hinge on how many the DC really wants or needs at each position group.

I always look at the roster and think it needs to be larger, but I suppose if we had rosters of 60 we would still think it needs to be a few spots larger so it is what it is.