With the political BS out of my way.........please allow me to say this. I taught for a long time. Mainly high school and middle school. However, when I moved to SC, I taught 5th graders for 9 years and 4th graders for 1 year. I loved 5th graders. They tried hard. Wanted to please. Weren't beaten down by the system yet. Respectful, for the most part. Eager to learn for the most part. Enthusiastic. Innocent for the most part. Vulnerable.

I recall how often we practiced lock downs. I allowed the class to develop a strategy of where we would huddle together inside the classroom. Windows were a huge consideration as was the doorway. The kids were great but what sticks w/me the most......and I want y'all to hear this..... even during routine lockdowns, the fear amongst my students was palatable. Just the thought that the school might be invaded and/or that some of them might be shot absolutely terrified them.

These are our children. Will y'all please stop the political manipulations and spend some time grieving for these poor children and their families. I cannot imagine having one of my children taken from me when they were so young. I get that we want to try and do more to protect them, but can y'all show some humanity?