I really don't dismiss the point the teacher made. I too am concerned about how those "sucked into their devices"often lack basic communication skills, have more trouble communicating, dealing with people in social settings and on an individual basis. Sure there are time it makes more sense to text. But at one point humans figured out that you could tell a lot more in a persons voice, tone and demeanor by talking to them than reading what is in the written word. Now it seems a growing percentage of our society would rather avoid talking and use the written word instead.

I will point out however the teachers own words for some context as it relates to the topic of discussion we are engaged in. School shootings.

"It's tragic to me that a large percentage of today's youth do not know how to have real conversations

Yet those committing these school shootings are very small, small number of our young people. I understand what people are saying about identifying and preventing the problem before it happens. But as you can see by what the teacher is saying within its context, it's a very small fraction of our children who she describes in that FB post that the problem of extreme violence ever manifests itself in.

So do we really want to try to pigeonhole every student who is introverted as having a mental issue? Because as the teacher points out, there's a large percentage who are, and a very small percentage of those who are introverted that ever become monsters. There's a very real possibility that we could go overboard in the other direction and label a lot f children who aren't really a danger to anyone.

I think it is a very complicated issue and one not easily dealt with.