Here's the problem I see with what you're saying. Your pointing to only one side. As of now one side wants to do too much just as you said. I don't disagree with you there. The other side wants to do nothing. They have fought every bit of any change or join in finding logical solutions. Much as myself you seem to agree we do need some common sense solutions. Being a gun owner myself I certainly have my limits as to what I think going too far is as well. You actually mentioned some points we both agree on.

But here's the point at which we disagree. So far advocating we do nothing I believe has the opposite effect you claim it will have. The anti gun people can show that as of now the other side wants to do NOTHING! That looks terrible in terms of the optics. I understand the slippery slope concept you're talking about. I also understand if the pro gun people would go along with just a few common sense concepts like raising the age to 21 as an example, they would then have the grounds to say they were willing to compromise while the anti gun people just keep pushing and will never be happy. I think that's a much better position of stength for them than fighting everything tooth and nail.