Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
I agree w/your sentiment. I do not agree w/your assignment of blame. To think that stricter gun laws alone will diminish the amount of mass murders is delusional. Bad guys get guns. Just like folks get illegal drugs. The supply has been established.

And once again before Pit or 888 misquote me..........I am NOT against stricter gun laws. Raise the age. More comprehensive background checks. Cool. But, it goes way beyond that. We are raising and nurturing social misfits. We bring more hate to the table than any nation I know of. It's the perfect storm.

Let me expand on one thought; bad guys do get guns, yes. But the average mass shooter, especially school shooters are very young. They are usually NOT hardened criminals, but kids who have either been radicalized over ideas they can't even really grasp or they have some sort of mental issue. I think some are bullied, treated bad in the school, have crap home lives or nobody gives a damn about them... They are not inherently evil, but the resulting actions of whatever triggers them to do these things are. I can't help but think we could do better at identifying these people. If facebook were a school, the data collected would damn sure help you pinpoint most at danger of doing something like this, and appropriate mental help could get things under control. I use facebook as an example of what could be done with data, not a moral example for sure.

And that could easily look like a Big Brother state, so not going there... But at all points these kids are interacting with adults who are responsible for them, are opportunities missed if they are not paying the right kind of attention. Maybe more student advocacy for the at risk kids. Of course, this will never stop them all, all the time, but avoiding the next one at any cost should always be the goal IMO.