Originally Posted by mgh888
Originally Posted by eotab
I think its been proven that if we keep Baker we will get a 3rd round compensation pick. So I don't see us trading Baker for a 3rd round pick or less when that is what we got doing nothing. Either way Baker gets his money and most likely we will be paying for it.
jmho

I was hoping someone would verify this - I have seen it written that we WON'T get a Comp pick if Baker doesn't play.

I don't know so I have to relay on what I google and find to be accurate - but here it is:

https://factoryofsadness.co/2022/05...ield-during-the-regular-season-busted/3/
The whole “just wait until he signs elsewhere in 2023 and the Browns get a 3rd round pick” crowd is not going to like this part. If the Browns keep Mayfield, and he goes into free agency in 2023 having not played a single snap of the football in 2022, the Browns aren’t getting a third-round pick for Mayfield.

Not a lot else out there. I don't know if his playing time makes a difference. I think the number of free agents we lose (vs how many we sign?) and the contract they sign with another team all are factors.

The Browns are certainly not guaranteed a comp pick for Baker if they hold on to him and he leaves as an UFA. The Browns would first have to lose more players in FA than they sign in FA and if that barrier is met, then calculate the contract values into the formula.

The NFL's formula includes determining whether or not a player falls under the compensatory free agent (CFA) status, which is defined as such: A player who has signed with a new club during the prior free agency signing period (before 4 p.m. ET on the Monday following the most recent draft), or whose rights were retained by the prior franchise by tendering the unrestricted free agent; and a player who ranked within the top 35 percent of all NFL players according to average yearly compensation, with additional points assigned based on postseason honors earned or participation (total snaps played). Clubs who have lost more CFAs than they have signed or acquired are eligible to receive compensatory picks. Transition tag or franchise tagged players who receive an offer sheet and whose offer sheet is not matched by the tagging franchise do not qualify as compensatory free agents.

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-compensatory-draft-picks-what-you-need-to-know