I guess I am over the idea of speculating on whether the FO did or didn't do a thorough investigation. If they expected all this bad press across all the National and Sport media, the additional cases, the sordid details - then it seems almost as bad an indictment on them as if they didn't do a very thorough investigation. But I don't know - and at this point it doesn't change the outcome.

From a pure football perspective - what does impact the Browns is DW's availability to start and bring his elite skills to the QB of the team. That's another area of speculation or conjecture for everyone - but that does and will change the outcome of how we view this trade. Some of the questions I have:

- How does the NFL move forward without resolution to these cases - maybe with some sort of caveat that any suspension could be increased if DW is found guilty or if more evidence/cases emerge ?

- As others have said, the NFL really only cares about it's image, it's revenue and the optics. If they treat DW leniently, they face a potential back lash. They potentially face continued and worse PR if DW ever lost a case in Criminal court. Saying this is a giant mess for the NFL is an understatement. And that in turn makes it a nightmare for the Browns while we wait on the NFL to make a decision. This story is bigger than the Ray Rice story and the NFL botched that so badly you have to think they would rather face an extended fight with the NFLPA than look weak/stupid again. . . . . In essence, if the NFL are going to get this verdict/decision wrong - you can bet your bottom dollar they will err on the side of being too punitive.

- If DW does not settle - he faces a very realistic possibility of losing in the criminal case. And if we think of someone like OJ - no-one thinks to themselves "Hey he was innocent in a court of law, and it was only a civil case that found him guilty" .... every man, woman and child brands OJ guilty.

- If DW settles - some might insist this was a witch hunt, made worse by local media ... maybe even suggest Watson is 100% innocent. I would think at least as many Browns fans would assume DW had some culpability and guilt.

- My last thought or question regards how long this stink will linger. If it's a 10 game ban, will everyone have moved on by the start of next season and this will be a non-story? If it's a season long ban - this story will be front and center of slow news off season months as DW prepares to take the field. Will we hear about this for the next 2 NFL drafts when they talk about why CLE has no #1 draft picks? .... none of which is pure football - but as a fan of the team, it hurts to see the team you root for dragged through the mud.

I mentioned in another post - at some point, the trade for an elite QB comes at a price that is too steep - in addition to the picks, the $1/4B, the bad press and optics, the ban . . . . I haven't landed there yet, but I am close to the point where I will think this is a bad trade if DW is gone for an entire season or more and we have a lost year with Brissett at QB. The team is strong and built to compete. I think it would suck for everyone to sit and watch them play with their back up QB as the starter for an entire year.

What about others - at what point (or has it already been reached) will you feel this was bad business?