Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
Originally Posted by Swish
jc

i dunno how i feel about this. i understand that in cases like this, you gotta do what the lawyers say for the best outcome, but damn. morally, settling always seems like an admission of guilt. i get that some people do settle for the simple reason of not wasting time in court, but when it comes to sexual misconduct cases, it feels dirty.

Exactly how I feel about this. I understand the argument for settling, but CW himself and unprompted just a week ago said he wanted to CLEAR his name. I don't see for a second how settling now even comes close to clering his name. Just makes him look slimy at least or like a preditor at worst. But now I'm supposed to be giddy and run out to buy his merch. NOPE.

It doesn't matter how you guys feel. You have to look at it from Watsons standpoint.

We have to make a few assumptions here, but it will make the point more clear for you.

Let's say Watson did none of this. All of the civil charges were flim flam. To "clear" his name he would have had to go through 20 trials. How much do you think that would cost? It was far cheaper to cut bait and settle. Earlier I said "clear" his name. Do you actually think winning all of the potential cases would have "cleared" his name?

Go back 20 years, OJ was found no guilty in his trial for killing his wife...or ex wife, whatever she was at the time. Did being found not guilty "clear" his name? You still have people saying,,,being found not guilty isn't the same as being innocent. In other words, the sap sucker is guilty but got off.

I don't think Watson has any chance no matter what of clearing his name. Too many people already have their minds made up. That being the case, you take the easiest, quickest way out to put it behind you and move on. Moving on is the only real way to start taking the eraser to this situation....and even then a smudge will always remain.