I think Jake Burns does the best job of diagnosing offenses and breaking down film study than anyone around. He sees the game much like I do. I love watching and reading his stuff. This is a really great article. I'll post the first part as a tease, but you really need to click on the link to see the videos and charts. It's very educational and a perfect read for those of you who like to learn about the game of football. Some of us have wondered what the offense will look like w/Watson at qb. This is a good look. No hot takes. No agendas. Just good solid football talk. Enjoy.

Cleveland Browns Year 3 Offense Evolution: Pistol Formation

ByJAKE BURNS Jul 12, 12:44 PM

Consistency leads to many great things for an NFL franchise. From the front office to coaching staff down to the roster, the more familiarity those in a franchise have, the better the odds for success become. Now, as we all know, impatience often limits the consistency a franchise needs to find long-term success. The Cleveland Browns have been a beacon of inconsistency largely attributed to impatience over the years -- especially since returning in 1999.

It is rare to see a Browns head coach, play-caller, and coordinators all return for a third year, but that is what we will get in 2022 for the first time since the 1991-1993 teams coached by, you guessed it, Bill Belichick. As well as that little-known defensive coordinator named Nick Saban. If you rewind to those early 90's teams, the success was not nearly as quickly achieved as the regime here under Stefanski. Belichick won just 20 games total in his first three seasons -- Kevin Stefanski has nearly accomplished that in just two.

So, we seek consistency. The Browns seem to have it in place on both sides of the ball right now and while there is never a day promised in the NFL beyond the one you are currently occupying, it is tough to see this group not getting a few more considering the bevy of offseason moves. Chief among them is the move for Deshaun Watson and with the improved quarterback play is likely to come to an evolving scheme from what we know through two years.

Stefanski is a wide zone system coach from the Gary Kubiak tree. They pair that wide zone base with a west coast passing scheme that thrives on play-action pairing to their zone and gap run schemes and sprinkling in some delightful screen game to running backs and tight ends. The system is formulaic at times and relies on the spacing created laterally to unlock the field horizontally. However, with Watson as the new signal-caller in Cleveland, there is a series to be made here on tweaks and changes I think will come with a quarterback skill-set as unique as Waston brings to the franchise.

Let's dig in on the first part of what will look different: pistol formation.

https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland...-evolution-pistol-189941848/#189941848_1