Originally Posted by Ballpeen
Originally Posted by RedBaron
Judging by last year's starters, the draft and this year's likely starters, it would appear as though we will stick with the bigger DE's and guys on the edge who can play the run really well and use penetrating DT's on the inside.
A slight shift from the traditional norm, but considering the number of teams (including Cleveland) that rely on the inside/outside zone running scheme, having more mobile guys across the board does actually fit as a resolution/answer.
I'd feel alot better about the DT group if Malik McDowell hadn't lost it.
I assume Sheldon Day will likely stick again as the "beef", Taven Bryan and Winfrey are straight penetrators, Togiai will hopefully step up on year 2. Elliott may have a fight for a spot if they don't roll with 5 DT's (and considering the number of time we moved the bigger DE's inside on 3rd downs, it's quite likely we may just keep 4 DT's).
Hard to see moving on from a guy before year 3 though. Training camp should be interesting.
Maybe we roll with 5 LBers in this 2 LB defense to free up the 5th DT spot.

DE: Garrett, Wright*
DT: Bryan, Winfrey*
DT: Day, Togiai, Elliott
DE: Clowney, Winovich, Weaver
OLB: JOK, TakiTaki, Fields
ILB: Walker, Phillips

Something like that-ish. Assuming Isaiah Thomas goes to the practice squad.

I am hoping that Glan Logan can kick Elliott or Togiai to the curb. Of those two, we have seen Elliott and he is pretty weak. Of the two, I would give Togiai another year to see if he can be any better, if not, kick him to the curb next year.

I am old school and feel at least one of your DT's needs to be a guy who can eat two blockers in the run game.

Problem is we don't have those big run stuffers on the roster. As far as NTs go only Elliot is significantly over 300. I have read he is 315. I like you hope that either Logan or Perry can eat blockers. Logan has the better frame to add weight of those two.

From the best info I can find our mini camp DTs were Elliot and Bryan. Elliot had a PFF overall grade of 41.6. Bryan was 56.4.