but there was zero chance they would get anything significantly accomplished...

I respectfully disagree, jaybird.

They were able to achieve their goal, for a number of hours. They successfully halted the ceremony that peacefully transfers power from one admin to the next. That was 45's goal all along. He tried in the courts, he tried strongarm backroom tactics, he tried to defraud the election by trying to send fake electors, and when all that failed, he whipped the mob into a frenzy and aimed them at the Capitol- at the time the count was to take place. The electoral cound wasn't concuded unti 3AM on 1/7. That, in my book, is significant enough- and too close for comfort.

And according to the timeline laid out by the 1/6 committee and sworn testimony from 45's GOP aides, career staffers, secserv agents and law enforcement, they came damned close to getting their hands on the VP- they literally missed him by less than two minutes. That sounds to me like a coup attempt that just barely failed.

The 1/6 committee has dotted a LOT of I's and crossed a TON of T's in their presentation to the public. Thousands of hours of research, depositions and testimony went into this. Much of it has been truly eye-opening, with the receipts they've brought.

Just another .02 from someone who watched all the hearings.