Hummingbirds are magic.

I have had feeders for many many years. I hang the feeders from the facia boards less than a foot from my bedroom and living room windows.

Sometimes I will hold the feeders and they come right it. They are constant entertainment.

Here in Georgia we get ruby throated birds. They are by far the most common. Out West I fed other species.

Last year one was flying erratically and my daughter caught it. It had gotten into a big spider web and the webbing caused the problem. I held the bird in my hand and took a small old soft toothbrush and brushed her clean. She was exhausted. I could tell. So I put her in an upside down small wicker wastebasket in a bathroom and turned the lights off. Just let her relax and recover. A couple hours later I took her in the palm of my hand and went outside. I opened my palm and she just sat there. I began to think there was a problem but a minute later she took off. It was great. I was so happy she had recovered.

I grow hummingbird plants like morning-glories and others that they feed on. They show up in April and leave in October sometime.

At times I feed maybe 20 plus. They battle all the time. The deck goes along the whole back of the house. Right next to the deck near my bedroom window is a dogwood tree. The feeders are just a few feet away from that tree. They sit in tree. When I bring out a full feeder they start making this strange high pitched chirp sound. They fly right up to me. When it is empty they hover up and down the bay window looking in. Telling me to fill it up. I stand next to the window I am about a foot away.

They have been a hobby of mine for a long time. They amaze me. They look like they are floating in the air from a short distance away. When the light hits them right they glow iridescent green. The males have the ruby throat. Totally cool birds.