Many years ago, my grandfather, at 96, was near the end. Last time I saw him, he was just a beaten man. He told me that he was just ready to die. He kept saying that it was time, and he was ready to go.

I was going to see him the next day, but I was just so upset by what he was talking about. It was the day before Thanksgiving, and I figured I'd take my mom over to see him on Thanksgiving.

I got a phone call Thanksgiving morning, and I knew, before I answered it, that Granddad had died. I beat myself up for a long time over not going to see him that day before he died. I finally had to realize that he woiuld forgive me, and would not want me to beat myself up.

Be thankful that you got to have your mom for so long. There are many who lose parents early in life. I am very thankful that I still have my mom, and that she is mostly able to do things she wants to do, including taking care of herself. I am also aware of the passage of time, and how much faster it seems to go by, the longer I live.

I pray for peace for your family. May the love of God surround you, and comfort you.