j/c:

Just a reminder. The Watson sweepstakes began the minute that the GJ in Texas decided not to indict Watson.

The same people who belittled me and laughed at me for saying Watson's defense team should go after the owners and that precedence be used as a defense are the same folks who are once again on the attack. They never learn from their mistakes. I do have to say that I am not the one who brought up Watson not being traded last year and initially I thought the same things as the Watson haters. However, once I heard it explained, it did make some sense to me. Again, I doubt it will happen, but it is logical and it makes some sense.

Moving on. I've brought up punishment before and haven't heard much--if any--feedback on the issue. What are your thoughts on punishment?

My thoughts are that punishment should be used as a deterrent rather than to rehabilitate. There are things I don't do in my life because of what could happen if I break the law. For example, I don't drink and drive because I don't want the punishment that comes w/being caught. I also think our penal system is a great example of how punishment fails miserably to rehabilitate those who are incarcerated. Furthermore, I think the legal system should decide who is punished and how harshly one is punished. The criminal courts have not convicted or even charged Watson w/a crime. The threat of Civil suits have led to 20+ cases being settled out of court where the accusers have been paid an agreed amount of compensation. I DO NOT believe in the the Court of Public Opinion deciding upon what is fair punishment and to play vigilante and punish those that the legal system has not.

I think about who on this board is not satisfied w/Watson receiving a 6-game suspension and ask what is their motivation? Why do they need to champion the fight for a more severe punishment that will directly hurt the Cleveland Browns and those of us who still support the team? There are posters who are uncomfortable w/Watson and I fully understand and support their feelings. However, those guys don't come here and fight for a more severe punishment. They express their feelings and leave it at that. But make no mistake, there is a small group of posters who rail against anyone w/an opposing opinion in their quest to see a man--and a fanbase--be punished more severely. They surely are driven by spite. Spite is an emotion with an unhelpful sense of justice. It is an unhealthy emotion that is often harmful and malicious. It certainly isn't productive.