Originally Posted by oobernoober
Putin ordered his military to increase in size.

https://apnews.com/article/russia-ukraine-putin-moscow-armed-forces-1b3a54763df874238478c1cd5d958fd5

Curious about what folks think about this. I assume this increase in size is to continue/bolster the campaign in Ukraine while presuming something akin to readiness in other areas. What'll be interesting is how this will be carried out. Supposedly, only volunteer soldiers are sent to Ukraine. I've also read that even Putin knows he has to walk a tight line between replenishing his fighting force and NOT implementing a draft... which would be extremely unpopular. As time goes on though, I don't know how much of any of that I actually believe.

the thing is that they're already having an unofficial draft. trying to get people as old as 65 to join, "highly suggesting" that prisoners sign up for a reduced sentenced, etc.

on top of recruiting mercenaries from the middle east. looking at everything that's happened so far, russia will make some territory gains, but then lose it because of trash logistics, self-sabotage efforts, and poor military strategy. hell, not even 3 months in, and they lost more troops than the US did in BOTH iraq and afghanistan combined.

it's not volunteer. it's voluntold.