More than 50% of the people in Mississippi vote red. Much more. Jackson however is heavily Democrat. It's also a very poor city. So the tax revenue from property and business taxes make it so they don't have a lot of money to maintain and improve their city. Oddly enough it seems a very red state hasn't helped fix the water supply of a very blue city either. But I do agree with you. This isn't about red/blue state. It's about Americans needing clean drinking water. We should all hope that a quick resolution is found to provide that for these Americans no matter how it gets solved or funded.

I think, though some have chosen a very less tactful way of approaching it, is that we see states like Texas, Florida. Louisiana and others who gladly want, call for and expect federal funding any time a disaster strikes. They want the federal government to come to their rescue. And I can't say I blame them. Many states aren't equipped to deal with such things and need help. Then any time the federal government makes laws for the entire nation they scream about state's rights, how the federal government is getting involved in things it shouldn't and act like the feds are Satan.

So which way do they want it? Do they want no help or guidance from the federal government? Or do they want to pick and choose when it suits their purpose and villainize them the rest of the time? It seems they want the latter. To have their cake and eat it too.