Originally Posted by Rishuz
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
Originally Posted by Rishuz
Is it a money thing with Biscotti? Or is it a Ravens contract philosophy thing?

It's that pesky little guaranteed issue that NFL QB's now have as leverage that they didn't have before. All any NFL contract is actually worth is the guaranteed portion and now there is a precedent of a fully guaranteed 230 million dollar contract on the table that was never there before. And the players know it. 133 mil. guarantee is a low ball offer if the report is true.

Is it a money thing that Biscotti doesn't want to fully guarantee the entire contract? Or is it a Ravens contract philosophy to not fully guarantee an entire contract?

I don't think I can dumb it down any more than that. If you feel like responding and still don't understand the question, I give up.

You'd probably have to ask them to get anything definitive, but I would venture a guess that it is equal parts of both.
NOBODY wants to fully guarantee a contract. There's plenty of good reasons it has never happened before now. Most of all is that no matter what happens, once that is signed, you're on the hook for ALL of that money.

Secondly, it's a LOT of money.
Now, the amount being spent per year IS LIMITED by the Cap and the Cap is set at a specific percentage of the league's shared revenues, so the money IS there to make it happen, but let's face it... nobody likes to hand over gigantic chunks of money, and especially so when the risk of "losing" all of that money goes up exponentially. One career-altering hit and you can kiss that all goodbye. He'd be done as a player, but you're still having to shell it all out.

Genie is out of the bottle, however. You can't un-scramble an omelette.