I got a different 'personal vehicle' recently. That meant I needed to sell my old one. It was a 2000 regular cab, 2 wd. 215,000 miles on it. Rusty, needed brakes, tires, and wipers. I offered it on facebook - a local site on face book.

An ex almost classmate asked if it would make it from here to Louisiana. I said, no, not the way it is. He said his son was in transition (military - an apache helicopter pilot) from Hawaii to to Louisiana. Son was up here on his break, I guess? Engine isn't a problem, it's the tires, tranny, and brakes.

He asked how much? (now, 'book value was as high as $2500 - I knew it wasn't worth that). Said his son would pay $1000. "Tell him to come take a look, drive it." Son showed up, drove it. I explained it needed tires, brakes, etc. And I wouldn't drive it that far. Just being honest. He offered $650. Done deal. Title work, etc.

Wife got a message today from the kids grandma: He got new tires, changed the brakes, got wipers, and he made it to Louisiana. Thank you so much for the price. He was elated, will probably sell it for a profit." No skin off my back, grandma.