j/c

One has to believe that the issues at WR and DT lie in one of three directions. Actually nobody knows which one but are quick at trying to lay blame on someone, almost anyone. But there is certainly a disconnect somewhere in the chain of command.

We have one legitimate WR in Cooper. I know, I know people are going to spout about DPJ but let's face it, in the two games where Cooper laid an egg the best DPJ could do is 60+ yards. So potential isn't equaling success. More times than not it doesn't. The DT's are horrible and everyone knew it going into the season. So trying to blame that on scheme makes no sense. You can either stop the run when it's ran straight up the middle or you can't. You can either shed blocks or you can't. It's pretty basic math.

So what happened? There are different possible scenarios here and as I said, nobody really knows which one it is. So everyone can try to lay blame in any which direction they choose but they have no idea if they are right or wrong. Here is what I see as possible scenarios.....

You have the possibility that the coaching staff doesn't recognize these weaknesses and are telling the FO they are fine with the players they have at both WR and DT. I would find that to be a rather far fetched idea but I suppose it's certainly a possibility. We have a very good OL and one would think that the obvious weakness at the DT would rear its ugly head on a regular basis for them to clearly see. The same I would think would be true at the WR position. Sure our defensive backfield has blown a few coverages but that happens as much as that seems to be surprising to some fans. So one would think the weakness at the WR position would also expose itself in practices. So to blame the coaching staff for this one would have to believe they're blind as a bat.

Another possibility is that the coaching staff is relaying they need help in these departments and something in the analytics is telling the FO that these two positions are not a priority and that resources are better invested elsewhere. Analytics is a very valuable tool but if one uses it as the end all be all on everything sometimes it can bite you in the ass.

Another possibility, even though the self appointed football God of Dawgtalkers thinks it's a crazy idea and not possible, one must consider that the remaining salary cap rolls over to next year. While I have no idea how likely it is, there is also the possibility that they were waiting on the decision of the length of the suspension for watson. Once again, what would analytics tell you?

First let's look at Brissetts's career stats. It tells you he's a very capable backup. In both games two and three he played far above what his stats would indicate and that's a very good bonus. But the analytics when looking at his body of work thus far in the NFL can't predict something like that. And as we saw in game four he could be coming back down to earth.

Secondly let's look at how FA contracts work with aging veterans. They're players that you don't mind dating but you sure as hell don't want to marry them. They're usually signed to one or two year deals. So they're more like a band aid on a bullet wound.

So let's look at the scenario here. With a career backup for 11 games, what would the analytics say about you making it to a SB with a career backup QB playing for 11 starts? Because I know many of you see making the playoffs as some end goal. However that's only the beginning of the end goal. 14 teams make the playoffs. Almost half of the entire league. Watson wasn't signed to "make the playoffs". He was signed to win SB's.

So once again, what would analytics tell you? Would it be better to wait until next year to address the WR and DT positions with those rentals with the roll over from this years salary cap? Or would it be wiser to use that money this year when your chances of winning a SB are virtually non existent? I know, i know, you can't win a SB unless you make the playoffs first. I get it. But what it boils down to is do you invest that money in a year where watson plays 6 games or 17?

As an example..... Would the Browns have signed Cole Beasley and or Suh had watson only received a four or six game suspension?

I don't have the answer to that question just like the rest of you don't.

So go ahead and make your guess at who deserves to be sacrificed. I'm sure many of you will continue to do so.