Billy Beane and analytics changed the game. Decisions are wrapped around analytics.

Leading off is now about getting your best hitter more at bats. That is why Judge leads offs.

"Hot bat" is another managerial move that has become common. If a player is hot. They move him up in the order. Hitters are streaky so when they are hot they want to get him AB's. The traditional leadoff and three and four hitters are not the same. Lineups do not stay the same. A guy hitting third in one game may hit 7th in another game. The "shift" caused changes. It will be gone next year.

There is so much information in the dugout today. Matchups against pitchers. Averages in ballparks. How to pitch to each batter. Defensive alignments. The scouting reports are so detailed. Tons of stats. Bullpens have become so important. They have guys for 6th, 7th, 8th, and closer. Guys come out of the minors who have never been starters.

It used to be if you could not make it as a starter. You went to the pen. That is not the case today.

I got to see a lot of these changes as they began. East Cobb baseball has put over 35 guys into the major leagues. I coached there for ten years. I coached or coached against many of those players. Their website has the players listed. That is not counting the hundreds of college scholarships that come out of ECB. The players are given the best instruction and play against the highest level of competition at a young age. By the time they are 18 these kids are so advanced.

Michael Harris of the Braves will win the ROY in the National League this year. He is the youngest player in the game. Played locally. Last night he faced Zack Wheeler with the Phillies another ECB player. Dansby Swanson Braves SS another ECB player. Buster Posey I saw play when he was sixteen.

The talent in the game today is off the charts. So many great players. I get to see the National League during the regular season. I love being able to see the American League games now in the post season so I can see the players.

The Guardians are unique. They really play "old national league" style. It was a necessity in order to compete. They lack power and can not win trying to play the power game. Tito is a tremendous manager and the right manager for this team. Fingers crossed for tonight.