j/c...

To me, there is only one ideal situation that dictates a mid-season coaching change at the top (HC, OC, DC)... The guy you want (and I don't mean "are willing to settle for") is immediately available. If so, that's a huge win, as he has a partial season to salvage or work towards the future. Obviously, the salvage part is key to timing. If this is salvageable and that dude is unemployed? Do it. Now.

That is very seldom the case. Fangio? He could fit that criteria (and I'd be thrilled with the hire), but he is employed... Not formally enough to make it impossible, but he is a paid consultant for the Eagles -- and probably loving every minute of it.

Your other option is to get the stench out of the building (if that's the way you see it) and bump someone from the ranks to be the interim. First -- I don't think that's the way we view Woods. Second -- is that the right approach in a season filled with uncertainty anyway? Probably not.

If that is the case, or becomes such, I would expect us to elevate Pass game coordinator/defensive backs – Jeff Howard... He spent seven seasons (2013-19) on the same coaching staff with Stefanski in Minnesota. OR... Linebackers – Jason Tarver... 19 seasons in the NFL including Defensive Coordinator experience with the Raiders (2012-14)... Probably the latter.

Not a big fan of making the change right now, although I (nearly) completely agree with all the stated reasons why. And in short, I really don't think Woods is going to work out.

I do know one thing (at least I'm arrogant enough to believe I do lol)...

There was a meeting in Berea this morning. I suspect the only one who bothered to put a fist on the table was Jimmy Haslam. I also think this organization was "designed" by him to be just that. Another set of "yes men"; this set aligned in philosophy, slaves to the analytics that put them all together in the first place. "Just follow the system" types, of which none are willing or capable of kicking the damn chair out from under their ass, standing up, and getting loud: "this isn't cutting it, figure it out or it's your ass".

Somewhere along this string of command, this attitude is necessary right now, and going forward. When a change is made, I expect the next hire to be more like Gregg Williams and less like Joe Woods. This type of personality is necessary for Stefanski, he's not mean and nasty enough to be that guy... "good cop / bad cop" would be a much better environment for him to work in.

Stefanski is an offensive minded HC who designs the scheme and calls the plays. That shouldn't change, that's where he thrives. It doesn't need to change if there is an alpha on the defensive side. Joe Woods is not that guy.

I know one more thing... We play BALTIMORE next Sunday. If the performance looks anything like yesterday, or the defense leaves the field clutching the same excuses we've seen all season... there will likely be more than fists on the table from Haslam.