Originally Posted by FATE
Originally Posted by mgh888
Originally Posted by dawglover05
Bro, when this whole thing started, you were talking about real life Red Dawn, and now you’re saying we can’t afford it???

Trump tax cuts ... 1.4 Trillion over ten years.
Ukraine ... 18 Billion.

I think the cost to stand up to an aggressor and support allies is well spent

Couldn't agree more. Biden spent 3 Trillion in his first year and wants to spend trillions more.

We've raised our debt ceiling to 31.5 trillion. All the money on the planet, every red cent, equals 40 trillion. We spend over 1T each year in interest payments.

OBVIOUSLY it's all Monopoly money... spend, spend, away. 18 billion? That's like a kid asking me for $5 for a happy meal.

Although I agree with you both, I don’t want to make it a which side is worse at spending money and raising the debt, because the ultimate answer at the end of the day is “Yes.”

I think it’s fair to say, though, that at the end of the day, along the lines of what you’re saying, if we could remotely rein in our spending, this would be nothing. In fact, if we could just hold our own defense contractors from raking our DoD over the coals in profit margins, we’d save WAY more than $18 billion.

My qualm on the spending front dovetails with my comments about the extreme right and their favoritism of Russia. They’re trying to make this a “we can’t afford it!” issue when it’s really not one. I’m sure they’d love to waste far, far more than that amount on many other things far more meaningless.