Originally Posted by steve0255
The part that baffles me is that where is the guarantee that after playing 6-games and then being off 7-8 additional months that the rust won't still be there? I'm not trying to cause an argument; I just would like to know the basis for the opinion.

There is no guarantee. Every player however faces the off season. They don't face the obstacle of not playing for 700 days.

1. Watson did not play for 700 days. Being rusty would be expected but by all beliefs, he never lost the skill set. What makes anyone think that after playing 6-games that the rust will suddenly be gone and then - gulp - stay gone for the next 7-8 months as he's doing nothing game wise to stay sharp?

I repeat, every player faces off seasons. Players do not face being off the field for 700 days. Those are two completely different things. As I said before, all you can do is give him some actual game speed work this year to help him become familiar in the O and with his WR's.

I'm not going to address your other points because it all actually boils down to one thing. The Browns went all in with watson with that contract. They are fully committed for the next four seasons. That's the reality whether one considers that a good thing or not. Doing everything they can to familiarize him with the speed of the game and familiarize him with this O and a connection to his WR's is an investment into next season. At this juncture there's really no other legitimate choice.