Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
I thought the call for JB to throw to DPJ was an excellent call. He was wide open. Jacoby missed the throw.

SF did something similar right before the half. Instead of kicking a FG, they had the last pick in the entire NFL draft throw a deep TD pass to a WR. Similar play calls in similar situations. Execution means nothing. It's all about play calling. One guy is a genius and the other a dunce.

I am not picking and this is more of a general statement about many, many fans, but I have always been amazed how many fans who have never played or coached think they are so much smarter than NFL coaches when it comes to football.

Edit to add that Chubb is not a good short yardage runner. He's a very good back, but he's a one-cut, wide-zone RB. He is not a short yardage back. His forte is not plowing straight ahead.

````````````````

I don't have a big problem with the call. My point of view is more along the lines of DC's. You have two plays to pick up a yard, I would have done things differently. Obviously, during your game-planning, you're putting together a plan for short-yardage situations in the opponent's territory.

3rd and 1... bring in Brissett then and attempt a 30 yard pass. If you're trying to capitalize on the fact the the defense will be caught off-guard and expecting a sneak -- throw the 30 yard pass a play before it will end your possession. Failure? Rush to the line on 4th and 1, hard count, send Brissett on the sneak, where he is very successful. Hindsight? Of course, but it's not something I sat around and pondered. My immediate reaction was "that would have been a real nice call on 3rd and 1.

No big deal either way with me, however, thinking that there won't be scrutiny upon failure is silly.

People criticizing a coach who sends in a backup QB and throws a 30 yard pass on 4th and 1 has nothing to do with them playing or coaching the game.