I’m big into running. It’s a big hobby, which is weird lol. I haven’t missed a day since 2008. When I was at my peak condition I could do 6 miles in just under 32 minutes. But I’m not there any more lol. A few things I’ve learned in that time:

- Just the discipline to start the habit is huge. It becomes part of your routine and life, which is important
- Footwear is huge. I go through shoes ever 2-3 months and see an insane uptick in ability when they are new.
- If you want to increase speed, try to do some interval stuff. Run hard .25 miles, walk .25 miles, etc. Play around with it until you increase distance and speed.
- Temperature/weather conditions also affect your speed. I’ll run rain, snow, or shine … but temperatures below 40, high winds, etc aren’t ideal.
- Sleep is important obviously. I’ve noticed the best performance I have comes two mornings after a nice sleep.
- Want to have fresh legs? Eat citrus the night before.
- Even with me, there are some days when I am just NOT feeling it. My best advice: push through it by increasing speed and leg drive early on. You’ll get your legs under you.
- Try to cross train with an elliptical, even if it’s 10 minutes afterward (or later that day). That will help I think.