I am a slow runner; always have been. During football, my wind sprints and 40's were, this is honest, timed with a calendar. We used to do distance and a half sets: 220 was 330, walk the curve & repeat. Stamina. The weight guys also ran (not making it up!) fartlek training, which means something like "speed play" to train easier. Picked an outdoor course like CC, uphill and down, flat, rough and 'run' a set rotation of speeds like walk, jog, half speed, full run, and sprint. Assign set times for each exercise, in new random order each time. Ideally the speed and effort will rotate through the course and vary the type of running on the type of course grade and surface. Running downhill, sprinting up hill AND later downhill and so on for various intervals and distances. For extra training and off lifting days, it helped me run more and more often. It wasn't as boring.
We like what we are good at; I was lousy at running, ergo. . . . But I am VERY proud of you, Mom! Do what you can as long as you can. Let us know!