I think there is a lot more to it than being cognizant of the cap - I think the way some posts have been written (not suggesting it's you or anyone in particular) - it's as if the Cap is a non-factor and can be worked around any time we want. Salary and signing bonuses can be manipulated and pushed around at will... I don't think that's accurate. I think we can move and manipulate our cap to sign Ward, Watson, Chubb and Garrett - but then it impacts our ability to improve the big holes that need addressing. If we end up cutting JJ3 - I've seen that it will save X number of dollars after July 1st ... but it also potentially creates a hole that then needs to be filled.

Another example of why the cap is actually important - we've all mentioned how Lamar's negotiations with the Ravens have been impacted by Watson's deal. Many posters have crowed about what a great deal it is that we've forced Baltimore into a tough position with Lamar ... Yes, there are other factors at play like Lamar's style and potential susceptibility to injury and the fact that DW's contract is fully guaranteed - but if the Cap is something only to be cognizant of and isn't that big of a deal - the Ravens could sign Lamar to whatever they want, because down the road it can be manipulated. If the Cap isn't that important what we did with Watson probably wouldn't be that important for how the Ravens deal with Lamar. I am sure if needed the Ravens could get creative if the fully guaranteed is a sticking point - offer him 6 years, larger total contract and a guarantee that's the 2nd highest ever. Something that makes Lamar the 'most' in one portion of his contact even if isn't not fully guaranteed, but then the guarantee is enormous compared to anyone except DW. It seems odd to argue that both the Cap is not that important anymore AND that the Ravens are struggling to sign Lamar because of the $$$.