Originally Posted by Damanshot
Originally Posted by Bull_Dawg
j/c

Patrick Mahomes will account for 22.7% of the Chiefs adjusted cap for 2023. DeShaun Watson will account for 22.29% of the Browns cap before any re-structuring. (link) Yet, Mahomes deal was lauded as a great deal for the Chiefs, and Watson's deal is bemoaned as a horrible thing for the Browns.

Like most things, perspective has an influence.

I don't know this but I wonder if Watsons off field issues are why it was bemoaned. That's legit thinking that I share. I've always been a "character" matters kinda guy. But not everyone sees it that way.

I get the character side. Yet, that hasn't really been brought up much here on the boards recently. It's all been about his cap hit and potential future cap hits. It's like they've been arguing over and over that the sky is blue. Yes, that's the way it is. A veteran QB has a big cap hit. The sky is blue. That's just the way things work.

If the argument is you don't like the cap hit because of the character, there's something there to argue about and have different opinions on. If the argument is effectively that you don't like the cap hit because of the cap hit, it seems rather specious. That's the way it works for every contract. What's spent on one player can't be spent somewhere else. The sky's still blue.

If they wanted to argue they don't think they should spend x% of the cap on a QB, tell us what percentage they find is acceptable and why. Certain posters telling us the facts of the contract over and over and expecting us to blindly agree that the facts themselves are somehow bad has grown rather tiresome. It is what it is. The team can work with it. The sky's not falling, and it's still blue.