Originally Posted by Jim Schwartz Eagles Interview
Jim Schwartz
Q. We’ve seen DT Javon Hargrave continue to improve with each passing week, this last game was probably his best as a pass rusher. What specifically has he done over these last several weeks to really kind of get used to playing in your scheme? (Jeff McLane)

JIM SCHWARTZ: Just I think what you see is just steady progress from him. You can’t always judge a guy, and we’ve said this a long time, you can’t always judge a guy just on sack numbers. There’s a lot of other things that go into it, freeing up other people, sometimes you have a great rush, and somebody else will make a sack and sometimes you make a great rush and the ball comes out so fast that you really can’t affect it but you have to keep making steady progress.

And I think Javon has done a good job of making steady progress. He’s getting more and more comfortable in the scheme. We knew it was going to be a little bit of an adjustment period. It took a minute or so for him to get with all the intricacies and techniques that we play. But he does make an impact on the game and I think we’re seeing the reason we liked him so much and the reason we added him to our team.
link

I had forgotten that Hargrave and Schwartz overlapped in Philly. Would have been a nice bonus, especially considering the part of the interview that I highlighted.

Guru wasn't necessarily a bad choice. I was more commenting on how coaching scheme and coordinating don't necessarily coincide with teaching technique to every/a specific position group. He's a DL scheme guru. I just wasn't sure how much of the technique teaching he was involved in. I'm still not entirely sure, but it may be more than I thought, or he could even be "teaching the teacher" now. Would have been nice to have a player that was familiar with the techniques he uses to help disseminate those to the other defensive linemen.

With Kocurek also having overlap with Schwartz, maybe the use of that same/similar techniques was a selling point for Hargrave in SF.