j/c:

Personally, I don't care for the Webster Slaughter bashing because a lot of people who might be reading might get the wrong impression. Slaughter was an extremely hard-nosed player who gave his body up to make tough catches over the middle time after time after time. He also made huge plays for our offense, such as making the big grab in the playoff comeback win over the Jets when most of the fans had already walked out. I'll never forget the time he caught a pass over the middle against SF w/the bonecrusher FS Ronnie Lott running full speed at him. Webster made the grab despite a vicious high hit from Lott, that would have been an ejection in today's game. Not only did he hang on, but he bounced up like a cat and did a little victory shuffle. I was at camp one time and they were running plays from the 20 where a WR/TE was matched on a DB. The throws were all to the end zone. One on one each time. Felix Wright was lined up on Webster. He threw a flat-handed shot to Slaughter's chin w/the heel of his hand. It knocked Webster's strap loose and his helmet was turned sideways. Webster still beat him over the top for a TD pass and then spiked the ball right in Wright's face. Two tough guys going at it. That was how the entire team [for the most part] played the game under Marty. Make no mistake, Slaughter was a badass and he doesn't deserve harsh criticism.