(don't know if randomness is a word, though)

I umpire softball. I had no game tonight. The local team had a game at home though, so I went to it. More to watch and possibly learn from the umps. I've been umping for basically 7 years, but it's always good to stand back and watch others, in my opinion. (I did learn one thing: the base ump was .....well, the epitome of lethargic).

So, just watching. Game got over. The baseball team was playing, so I went and watched that as we have friends that have a son playing. So, I'm just standing there and some guy (I know HIM, but I don't think he knows me) asks me if I knew Joe Thomas was going to be near here (maybe 6 miles from my house) next Wednesday. He then pointed at my Browns shirt I was wearing.

I said I didn't know that, asked him some info - he gave me someone's number, we talked a bit, and I went up to sit with my friend. "Hey, you know Joe Thomas is going to be at the Legion Hall next wednesday?" He said yeah, then asked if I wanted a ticket. "Uh, yeah." I think I have an extra one. Wait, maybe I don't. But I'll get you one. He sent a text to someone.(he's a well connected person). Sure enough, I got a ticket.

All because I wanted to watch other umpires and possibly learn some do's and do nots - I get to meet and listen to Joe Thomas.