Originally Posted by mgh888
I think Berry and KS would be under immense pressure if we don't make the playoffs. I mean injuries and freak stuff not withstanding - I can't see making the playoffs with a QB that you wanted to move on from, giving up all that draft capital and that contract to DW, and then standing still or going backwards. You can move on from your QB and not make that deal for DW and be in the same position of not making the playoffs. It's not got anything to do with the former QB - it's got everything to do with who you moved to and what you gave up for him and the 1/4 $Billion.

The thing about the $quarter billion, if you look around the league, that is the going rate for top QB's. Watson isn't even the top guy.

As for the guarantee, it's just symbolic. Any team who pays a QB that much isn't going to move off that QB any time soon. If a QB like that gets a career ending injury, most teams pay it off anyway. Most teams also have insurance for events like that on top players. It doesn't pay everything, but it pays enough to make the guarantee a moot point.

It may sound like a lot(and it is) and it may sound stupid, but the Browns FO and owner are pretty sharp cats. They aren't going to make a move like that unless it made sound business sense.

The bottom line is unless your rookie balls out, you are going to pay a top QB $45-55 mil a year.

I think Hurts is making $51 a year. Rodgers $50. Mahomes about the same. Burrough is on the cheap right now, but NFL...not for long. What did Jackson get? Add in Allen and Herbert. Not sure if they have been paid yet, but you can bet your sweet bippy they will.

LOL....pulled that saying out from the deeper reaches of the memory bank.