Originally Posted by Clemdawg
Seems like if people would stay off social media, they wouldn't be affected by this propaganda.

Totally get your sentiment, but see it a bit differently.
Those who are susceptible to propaganda of any type will eventually become targets/purveyors. When I was 13, a classmate in our Jr. Hi School was caught with a trove of Klan tracts and pamphlets in his locker. That was in 1970. No internet. No 'instantaneous social media.' Same poison- just delivered slower and more organically, back then.

It amazes me what people read on social media and take for truth. Even people I once thought where intelligent enough to see through the BS.

I know, right?
A friend I've had for more than 40 years followed a rabbit hole a few years back. He's now a stranger who I don't recognize. This was something I never saw coming.

I have distanced myself from some people because they got sucked into the crap they read, and I personally have deleted all my social media accounts. I only know of this stuff from this forum.

I haven't gone quite so far. I still have an active fb account.
The best thing ever did: I set my feed for 'friends only' from Day One. As a result, I get all the updates from friends/fam that I can stand, without the rest of The World's toxicity.

I totally understand your motivation to delete all social media. I've taken a different tack: I've chosen to stay engaged, adapt to/understand the hidden algorithms that react to/manipulate our browsing habits, and have taken steps to actively control my digital output.

I don't want to be totally cut off from this aspect of modern daily life. I want to find a healthy way to deal with it.
I'll let you know if I ever find a solution.

Stay tuned. I haven't given up yet-
wink

I get it, my choice to delete social media was multi-part.

One was that I just didn't really log in and look at it anymore, another was when I did, it was mostly BS and people arguing over stupid stuff, that neither put any effort into truly understanding rather than argue the agenda bullet-points. And 3rd, I didn't get anything out of it personally, so why bother.

Anything important in the world going on, gets posted here. I can usually get the information, and multiple viewpoints and perspectives in a short time frame, and then if I want to know more, I can research myself.