Originally Posted by guard dawg
Sometimes I get disinterested in posting but I usually read the board regularly. I haven't seen many posts that describe details of Swartz's scheme. But there is information out there that should provide insight. Some of these articles are long so I won't post them in their entirety. I'll just give the link. They are really worth reading.

One thing I will say is that Swartz's scheme is based on pressuring the QB not stopping the run. This can't be disputed because it comes directly from his own mouth. Run stopping is a by-product of his scheme, not the aim.
Jim Swartz doesn't care about being #1 aginst the run.

Swartz does put a priority on the D line at the core of his scheme.
Getting pressure without blitzing

More D line emphasis with D5 front. He will mix in a 5-D linemen front in certain situations.
Saw it in Philly, it's coming to the Browns.

Expect a lot more man and a lot less zone coverage. ( I think this is sprinkled into several of the above articles.)

IMO, the LBs we have now will be fine in this defense.

To execute this properly we're going to need 9-10 DL

Thanks for that.

Living in Tennesse, I have watched the Titans since they moved from Houston. If I have a 2nd team, the Titans would probably be the team between them, the Falcons, and Bucs.

I was always impressed with the Titans D when Schwartz was the coordinator. It didn't hurt that he had BIG Albert Haynesworth, but it was always about pressuring the QB. That was the first step for his linemen, then adjust to the run.

A guy like Haynesworth was always going to be a top player, but I do think a DC like Schwartz brought out the best in his linemen. I think he will do that here as well.

I never really thought about it until reading about it some time later, but his wide DE sets almost automatically set the edge on run plays starting on wide splits and pinching in towards the projected QB depth in the pocket. It's hard for a back to get around them without dipping 4-5 yards deeper in to the backfield to get around the DE's. They usually have to try to cut inside the DE right in towards the LB's. This makes the LB's job much easier knowing where the back is going to go without dipping deep, more or less making a 3rd and 3 situation in to a 3rd and 8 run.